Wednesday 26 June 2013

I'd never know by looking at you!

I have bipolar affective disorder.  I'm not bothered about people knowing as its just part of who I am.  My direct reports at work know, my friends know, my family know.  Every so often though, you get a comment that makes you go HMMM.

While having a conversation about health with colleagues today, it was mentioned in passing about me having time off ill.  "What's wrong with you"  I was asked.  I told them and they came out with this gem - "well I'd never know by looking at you!"

Yes, because you can tell by looking at someone whether they have a mental illness, can't you.

Ode to not having two heads

I don't have two heads.
You may find this hard to believe
but an extra head didn't grow when I got ill.
And my face is the same colour
as it always was before
and my eyes and nose and ears
are all there still.

No comments:

Post a Comment